Rabbit Housing Progress

07_25_2017_02

This time last year we started framing up some larger rabbit housing behind the housing we made the year before, which very quickly became too small as Zapp grew to his full size – male angoras are pretty huge rabbits – and I took in another pair of bunnies (Licorice and Toast).

We had this project on hold all winter but we were finally able to work on it again this month. Shortly after getting back in action I discovered one morning that Zapp had passed away suddenly in his sleep which was actually fairly horrible, I’ve really had enough of death and dying and finding dead bodies for the next little while, thanks. With the loss of Millie earlier this year as well I am back down to essentially 4 pairs of rabbits so this housing will be extra spacious.

J has been working on it a ton and now it is almost complete, and it looks AMAZING. The big thing holding us back was roofing material; we found some used material for free last fall that we had grabbed for the bunny house, but it wasn’t really suitable for the size of the roof so we used it instead to cover our woodpile. I bit the bullet and bought new roofing and now I’m really glad I did because it looks most excellent. Once the roof was on things went really quickly.

07_25_2017_11

07_25_2017_1707_25_2017_16

I salvaged this roll of insulation and we used it to create a (hopefully effective) cold-weather barrier between the plywood and future siding. The mesh ventilation windows will have wooden inserts that can be locked on in the cold or stormy weather which I’m pretty excited about. I have been lining the windows with plastic which works well to keep out drafts, but the rabbits tend to chew and tear at it which I’d like to avoid.

07_25_2017_14

07_25_2017_08

07_25_2017_0507_25_2017_03

The house is divided into two halves, the first one being complete save for the laminate floor tiles. It has 3 levels, 2 ramps, and 4 doors, plus floor space for the rabbits to use and a storage space above for metal pens and window shutters.

07_25_2017_12

07_25_2017_0907_25_2017_18

07_25_2017_13

07_25_2017_06

07_25_2017_21

07_25_2017_01

^ We even did trim boards on the roof capped with metal flashing, and we will be adding a gutter to drain into the rain barrel.Β  So fancy!

07_25_2017_10

The “old” house finally got it’s door painted, and will soon be consolidated into 2 hutches for 3 rabbits, rather than 4 hutches for 8 rabbits (plus one inside the house that we really need moved out of the basement). Toast and Licorice are really enjoying the extended run we set up.

07_25_2017_20

07_25_2017_04

07_25_2017_07

07_25_2017_22

07_25_2017_15

I’m going to try to bond Momo and Leela (both widowed) together to make a 4th pair, but so far things have been a bit hit and miss. Momo can be fairly aggressive with other rabbits, but so can Leela so it’s an interesting mix. Stay tuned!

07_25_2017_19

2 comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s