Abortion is an obviously controversial topic that has been back in the news in a big way due to restrictive and archaic laws being passed in the USA (Meanwhile in Canada 😍). What shocks me most about these laws is the lack of information the men voting on them have. They have even been quoted in the media recently admitting they don’t understand how the female reproductive system works, but did not hesitate to slap laws on women who want to make their own decisions. The heartbeat bill outlaws abortion once the fetal heartbeat has been detected… something that happens as early as 6 weeks into the pregnancy and before many women even realize they are pregnant, so without even being aware of it they are missing their narrow window to act. I am and will always be pro-choice, and am a firm believer that these laws are not in place to help children, though that is what republicans would have you believe. These laws are 100% about controlling the lives of women and nothing more. If these men (and they are all men making these decisions!) actually cared about life they would support programs that help children in poverty, children trapped in the foster care system, the children of immigrants (which they take from their families and literally keep in cages), etc etc. Maybe if more people read books and educated themselves about the reproductive system they would learn a few things and accept that pregnancy happens because TWO people made it so, not just the woman. And a womans’s personalhealth decisions are PRIVATE.
So here’s a great list of resources! Read up! Notably not included is Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood. I love it, but feel like it is an obvious selection that has already been talked about a lot in the media, and the imagery from the tv show has been used in protest a lot already. These are some other options, mostly non-fiction (facts!) but also a couple of novels.
- Misconceptions: Truth, Lies and the Unexpected on the Journey to Motherhood by Naomi Wolf
- The Mommy Myth: The Idealization of Motherhood and How it has Undermined all Women by Susan J. Douglas
- Like a Mother: A Feminist Journey Through the Science and Culture of Pregnancy by Angela Garbes
- Pushed: The Painful Truth About Childbirth and Modern Maternity Care by Jennifer Block
- When She Woke by Hillary Jordan (Fiction)
- The Girls Who Went Away: The Hidden History of Women Who Surrendered Children for Adoption in the Decades Before Roe v. Wade by Ann Fessler
- The Means of Reproduction: Sex, Power and the Future of the World by Michelle Goldberg
- Red Clocks by Leni Zumas (Fiction)
- The Purity Myth: How America’s Obsession with Purity is Hurting Young Women by Jessica Valenti
- The Common Secret: My Journey as an Abortion Doctor by Susan Wicklund
- My Notorious Life by Kate Manning (Fiction)